Tar-Tunnel

Tar Tunnel

Located in the village of Coalport, the Tar Tunnel was dug from the hillside in 1787 when miners struck an underground spring of thick, treacle-like natural bitumen which still oozes from the walls today. The discovered tar had many uses; to treat ropes and for caulking ships as well as being sold as a remedy for ‘rheumatic affections’!

Visit Website

Back To Things To Do